“Photographing wildlife is a game of tactics and patience and the rewards can be spectacular.”
Welcome to Ian Aitken Photo Workshops at Ol Pejeta Conservancy.
Due to the disruption occasioned by COVID-19, our 2020 dates have been postponed. Check back for 2021 dates or contact email@example.com for an update.
2020 Workshop Dates:
- 6th – 13th July
- 7th – 14th September
- 23rd – 30th November
All our photo workshops are exclusive to Ol Pejeta, and a world away from the usual tourist game park scramble. With us, you’re free to go at your own pace. Professional photographer Ian Aitken will be on hand on all our daily game drives and excursions, helping you to get the perfect shot.
It’s your chance to:
- Meet the last northern white rhinos left in the world
- Experience Ol Pejeta’s amazing wildlife, including the ‘big five’ (rhino, leopard, elephant, buffalo and lion), Grevy’s zebra, East Africa’s largest black rhino population and the only chimpanzee sanctuary in Kenya
- Explore a vast, varied landscape of bush, acacia woodland, rivers and high plains overlooked by Mount Kenya
- Find out first-hand about Ol Pejeta’s pioneering conservation and community development work
- Meet local Samburu communities and learn about their culture
- Enjoy a unique experience in a stunning location, at an affordable price
The objective of all our tours is to get you close to the animals, landscape and people of the Laikipia region.
However, we aim to offer a balance of photography with time for other activities – just chilling out, swimming or interacting with other people staying at The Stables.
It’s the dream tour for photographers and, of course, non-photographer partners are equally welcome! In a small group (6-10 max) and with Ian’s friendly advice and tuition, you’ll learn how to take better pictures of wildlife, sunsets and sunrises, people and landscapes. Ian will help you understand digital workflow and develop techniques for post-processing your images.
Our all-inclusive price offers extremely good value and, as the cherry on top, you’ll be supporting Ol Pejeta’s conservancy programme and associated community projects.
Just what you’re looking for? Book your workshop here.
Your Ian Aitken Photography Workshop
We believe in the personal touch, and each one of our tours is arranged exclusively with our friends at Ol Pejeta.
The conservancy covers more than 350 square kilometres. Each day you’ll explore a different area and encounter an astonishing range of wildlife, landscapes and people. You’ll never run out of inspiration.
With professional photographer Ian Aitken at your side, it’s the perfect opportunity to develop your camera skills - and take some truly unique photographs.
One of the tour highlights will be the chance to get up close to the world's last northern white rhinos.
Your photographic workshop in Kenya includes:
- The Journey starts and ends in Nairobi where you will be collected
- 4x4 safari truck transfer between Nairobi and Ol Pejeta
- Refreshments in the morning and a chance to feed the giraffes at the Giraffe Centre in Karen on the outward journey to Ol Pejeta
- Visit the David Sheldrick elephant orphanage in Karen to see its rescued elephants on the return journey to Nairobi airport
- 8 nights accommodation at The Stables in Ol Pejeta
- All meals: lunch and dinner (day 1); breakfast, lunch, dinner plus tea and cakes (days 2-8); breakfast and lunch (day 9)
- Ian Aitken photographer and guide for 8 days
- Transport in four-wheeled drive vehicles for 8 days
- Daily early morning and evening game drives when the animals are most active
- Professional photography advice and tuition from Ian Aitken throughout the tour
- Informal afternoon and evening sessions with Ian on photography, digital workflow, post-processing of images
- An evening talk by Richard Vigne, CEO of Ol Pejeta about its conservation work and history
- Bushwalk including how to track animals and the chance to take photographs from a different perspective
- Visit to a local community to discover the traditional way of life in this part of Africa, and see the tangible social benefits of the Ol Pejeta Conservancy
- Visit to Nanyuki town and market
- All conservation fees
Our tours are designed to give you the option of an all-inclusive package from Nairobi.
Places are limited, so book your place now.
How much photographic kit do you need?
Ian’s approach to photography is to keep things simple. It’s entirely up to you how much photographic equipment you bring, but all you really need to pack are:
- a DSLR camera
- Long lens or zoom reaching 400mm
- Possibly a teleconverter
- A standard lens
- A wide-angle lens
- Laptop for uploading your pictures
- Spare hard drive to store pictures
- Photo editing software, such as Adobe Lightroom, Apple Aperture, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Bridge, Capture One
- Spare camera batteries
- Cables for cameras and laptops